Banh Mi Pizza
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 slices)
A classic Vietnamese sandwich gets reincarnated as a cheesy pizza. Is this even legal? Carrots, cucumber, and radish are quick-pickled and piled high for superb crunch. The classic banh mi odyssey calls for pork and pâté, though our meatless version is plenty satisfying. If you’re craving an extra hit of quality protein, try cracking 2 eggs over the cheese before baking.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces fresh deli whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 5 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Calories 354
- Fat 15.2g
- Satfat 4.3g
- Monofat 6.4g
- Polyfat 3.4g
- Protein 15g
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 4g
- Cholesterol 23mg
- Iron 0.0mg
- Sodium 690mg
- Calcium 293mg
- Sugars 5g
- Est. added sugars 3g
How to Make It
Place a pizza stone or baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 500°F. (Do not remove pizza stone while oven preheats.)
Combine vinegar, 1 cup water, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar and salt dissolve. Stir in carrots, cucumber, radishes, and jalapeño. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Roll dough into a 13-inch circle on a large piece of parchment paper; pierce well with a fork. Brush soy sauce and 1 tablespoon sesame oil over dough. Place dough (on paper) on preheated stone. Bake at 500°F for 6 minutes.
Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over dough. Bake at 500°F for 5 minutes.
Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil.
Spread pickled vegetables evenly over pizza. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture over top. Sprinkle with cilantro. Cut into 8 slices.